Sunday, July 14, 2013

There Are An Estimated 200 Million Blogs, Do We Really Need Another One?


If you take away the mommy blogs, self pity blogs, and money pit blogs, you still have over a hundred
million.  Even if you narrow it down to just blogs about bird photography, you’ll probably still be able to 
find hundreds of those. So why American Wild Bird blog? Ultimately you will decide on the answer to 
that question, but this is why I am writing it.

AmericanWildBird.com (ABW) is a website that focuses on bird photography, and more specifically, bird
photographers. Our mission is to provide resources and promotion to bird photographers. In addition to
showing their work and profiling excellent photographers, we also try to provide the tools and information
to aid them in continuing to produce high quality work.

The function of this blog is to support the mission of the website by providing a regularly updated stream 
of information on birding hotspots, promotional opportunities, new tools and books, and any other helpful
bits that we come across.

One frequent feature will be reports from visits to various birding hotspots throughout the country. We’ll
try to not only give a description of the location and the birds that populate it, but also specific locations
within the property that offer the best opportunity to be successful. We will report on the usability of the
location: visitor resources, restaurants, lodging, and any other travel tips to help make the trip as
productive as possible.

Most of the reports will be based on my experiences as I travel around the country looking for the best 
places to see and photograph the hundreds of species that we are blessed to have in this country. Often 
I will be accompanied with my good friendsStephen Tabone and Ceasar Sharper. Visit their websites 
and you will see that I am in very good company. Most often I am accompanied by my wife and best 
friend of 45+ years, Valerie. She has a great eye for seeing birds and great views, often before I do.

After reading a few of these posts, you may notice some biases. I visit the US southeastern states more 
often than most, because it is physically close and there are hundreds of great birding hotspots. I tend
to go to where there is saltwater nearby, because it’s in my DNA. I usually stay in the cheapest motels 
that have clean rooms and good wifi, because I am normally out before sunrise and not back until after
dark - who needs a great room and pool for that?

So, please read a few posts and then you can decide if we need blog number 200,000,001.

No comments:

Post a Comment