Thursday, April 11, 2013

Columbia Insect Blocker Technology: It Really Works!


Columbia Sportswear Long Sleeve Backcountry Shirt makes the claim that it can repel bugs even after 70 washings! I don’t know about 70 washings, but I can tell you that after one washing it kept away green head flies and mosquitoes in a swamp that was full of them. Here’s what Columbia says about their bug repelling technology:

“Insect Blocker technology is a revolutionary defense in the battle against bugs. Using a synthetic version of a naturally occurring insect repellent found in certain types of chrysanthemums, it offers protection that is integrated directly into clothing and gear to keep mosquitoes, ticks, ants, and other biting insects away, so you can enjoy a bug-free adventure. Insect Blocker requires no re-application or special care of any kind and is so tightly bonded to fabric fibers that it retains its effectiveness for up to 70 washings. Insect Blocker turns clothing and gear into long-lasting, effective insect protection to keep bugs at bay so you can enjoy the greater outdoors in peace.”
In the past I have relied on the DEET found in OFF! Deep Woods® to keep the mosquitoes and flies from eating me alive. It has been very effective, but I hate putting chemicals all over my skin. Additionally, you must be careful to keep the spray away from your eyes and hands. On a recent trip to Chincoteague, the OFF!® kept the hoards of mosquitoes off of my arms and legs, but the little pests easily feasted on my back right through my T-shirt. That’s when I decided I needed a new approach. I had heard about the Columbia shirt before, but was skeptical about how effective it could be. The Chincoteague experience convinced me that it was worth $60 to try a new approach.
This past week I was at Pea Island NWR and the Alligator River NWR; both places provided a good testing ground for the shirt. At Pea Island there was a mixture of mosquitoes and green headed flies. I wore the new, unwashed shirt with a pair of jeans and a wide-brimmed hat and I did not apply any OFF!® Although other photographers I saw on the trail were complaining about being eaten up, I didn’t have a single bite.
Two days later I took my kayak to Alligator River NWR. This time I was wearing shorts, a ball cap, and the shirt which had been washed the night before. I was immediately attacked by green head flies all over my legs. I quickly pulled out the OFF!® and sprayed only my legs. A few flies would land on my shirt and even my glasses, but still not one single bite! I paddled all through the swampy area without a single bug problem.
The shirt also offers sun protection which is useful for a long day of paddling. I kept the sleeves down while in the field, but they roll up and can be fastened in place when full protection is not needed. The shirt is light, vented, and dries quickly. It is available in three colors and I found that the size ran a little large. The Backcountry shirt is only available in men’s sizes but they do offer another insect blocker shirt for women.  The company also offers a pair of pants and a floppy hat made with the same technology. I have both on order. If you’re going to be in damp areas in the spring and summer, I would highly recommend this product.
Do you have a favorite approach to managing pests?

No comments:

Post a Comment